CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 7, 2010

The First Post

Not too very long ago, I was living in Italy as a student studying abroad. I have always loved cooking, but being a college student in a dorm where the kitchen is always broken sort of dampers the cooking spirit. But in Italy, where we had our own kitchen and a grocery right down the road, where cooking is a way of life I went crazy! Fortunately, groceries there are pretty dang cheap... purtroppo, now I am back here, in the United States, where groceries are a little bit (a lot bit) more expensive, but... what can you do. I've been wanting to start writing this blog for a while. This summer I'm living with my sister and her family, and I'm helping out. One way is by cooking. I teach Kim new recipes and she teaches me too. So let me share with you an Italian-American dish called...

The Bruschetta Burger


Bruschetta (bru-skke-tta) is a delicious and simple Italian appetizer that pretty much everyone has probably had. I first had one at the infamous Applebees. Let's be clear: I do not like Applebees. It is pretty dang gross, in my opinion. But when they introduced this delicious dish I was sold (they have since then taken this away, and I no longer eat there.) I've tried making it a couple different ways - I once mixed pesto straight into the meat, which wasn't bad. These pictures are of the last time I made it, when I made it for Kim and Stace. It was a big success. There was something perhaps a little off for me, some kink I need to work out, but the general populace (of 2) loved them.

This particular recipe was adapted from someone else's, who was trying to do the exact same thing I was (recreate Applebees best dish.) The pictures could be better... I'm trying to get there! The Pioneer Woman (thepioneerwoman.com) is a cooking goddess and she gives tips on how to take good photos of food, so I'm trying to learn them, but... I suspect I might have a few material and environmental problems in my way.

On to the recipe!

This recipe calls for treating the meat like you're about to make meat balls.
1 egg
1/2 cup dry breadcrumbs (these might be what bothered my taste buds - I don't think I'll use them again.)
2 cloves garlic, minced - or more! I generally use about 3 plus one small clove.
Oregano, Thyme, Parsley to your preference
Sea Salt to Taste
Ground Black Pepper to taste
1 lb ground beef
1 tsp veggie oil
2 tomatoes, chopped (note: the ideal tomato for bruschetta is the one that isn't entirely red ripe - with little hints of green and orange. It makes it easier for chopping and it's the Italian way.)
1/2 of an onion - this is optional. Onions don't belong in bruschetta, strictly speaking, but it's still a delicious additive.
1/4 cup fresh parsley
1/2 cup Provolone

For the Burgers
Whisk together the egg, bread crumbs (if you're using them,) garlic, herbs, and sea salt and pepper to taste, bearing in mind that you will using more. Add the beef and really mix in it there!

In skillet, heat oil over med-high heat. Fry burgers until they look like nice and brown on the bottom - time varies depending on how hot your oven is. The woman whose recipe I am adapting suggests 6 minutes, but mine took longer.



My pan is so dirty because this was the second set of burgers I was making.

Now while you're doing this (or, if you're like me and like everything to be prepared before you start cooking, you can do it before) put your tomato, onion, parsley, sea salt, and pepper into a bowl. Put these onto the burgers when they're almost done, say less than 10 minutes more of cooking, but between 4-6, then top with cheese. Cover skillet with lid for a few minutes so the cheese melts.



Sorry my picture of the tomato+mixture is so blurry :(

Should have taken pictures of Kim and Stace proving how delicious they are, but I was a little preoccupied. So.. first post! This is very exciting for me. More to come!

0 comments:

Post a Comment